View Single Post
Old 06-12-2007, 03:17 AM   #1
roosmom
Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Housetraining to go outside vs puppy pads

So Roo's been a bit of a monster when it comes to housetraining. She would use the pad when she remembered but I was cleaning up about 20 little teeny puddles a day (usually a couple at night and then multiple throughout the day). I was so sick of it! I finally decided to try crate training- well that just made it worse! I would take her out of her crate stick her on her pad- she would just stand there and look at me- refusing to go! So I gave up on that after a day or so (I know not a long trial but it wasn't working, Roo wasn't drinking, and she was starting to dribble pee which i thought was a bad sign- definitely didn't want her to get a UTI).

Anyway, my fiance got me a dog training magazine and it had a puppy training schedule in it. I started it yesterday and now Roo has not only been going outside but she's also used her pad to pee twice without coaching- NO ACCIDENTS! I watch her really closely but it's still amazing the difference in her. I would definitely recommend to anyone having trouble try crate training/taking outside because it's been so successful! I think keeping her in her crate over night is great too because she has stuffed animals in there and she cuddles up with them and sleeps- she did pee in her crate the first night but I think it was because she ate/drank too late at night. Last night I cut her off earlier and she was fine- she didn't even go when I got her up at 5.

Whew that was a long post but I'm so excited!! If anyone wants the magazine- I think it's just called "Puppy Training" it's at Pet smart/Petco and about 9.99 (I think expensive for a magazine but so worth it!).
roosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!