View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #15
jazzygirl
Yorkie Yakker

Quote:
Originally Posted by red98vett View Post
just to help you in your search - there really isn't any such thing as a 'teacup' - please watch the breeders who use it - they usually ask for alot more money and in many cases it's nothing but a selling tool..there's such a fad going on with tiny dogs right now and you should go in with your eyes open.....good luck
red98vett is correct. There is no such thing as an acknowledged/recognized teacup Yorkie. However there are breeders that consistently have litters with tinies. Trying to find a honest, reputable breeder who has tiny Yorkies is not easy, believe me! And if you are lucky enough to find a reputable and caring breeder that has tiny Yorkie pups, be prepared to spend quite a bit more than $500.00-$800.00.
I know there are those that feel very strongly about either breeders or buyers of Yorkies that are under 5 lbs, And that is totally their right to express their opinion. However there are quite a few people who want a tiny Yorkie. I really can not see how this preference is any different from someone wanting any other breed of dog with certain characteristics, weight etc. The weight and size of the "acceptable" Yorkshire Terrier has varied and changed over the years.
I have 2 precious Yorkies which I love dearly. My oldest Yorkie (1 yo) is just at the 7 lb mark. I was definitly mislead and ripped off when I purchased her. My youngest Yorkie (almost 4 months old) is an adorable Yorkie puppy that will most probably not even reach 4 pounds. She is a Much better quality dog, that has parents that were carefully, thoughtfully and purposely bred. Overall you can not even begin to compare the 2 dogs. Size has nothing to do with it. One dog is clearly superior to the other. My older Yorkie,most likely was interbred and a puppymill pup. The difference in the 2 dogs goes far beyond their size difference.
I love all my animals equally. I could not even imagine life without my furbabies. Love them all to pieces! However I continue to see posts that consistently suggest that tiny/teacup, etc Yorkies are less healthy or stable than Yorkies over 5 lbs. I can honestly say this has not been my experience. I think it has all to do with the quality of breeder, not with the weight of the puppies.
But that is just my 2 cents worth and my experience.

PM me if you are interested in an excellent breeder who has beautiful tiny Yorkie pups. You could not ask for a more caring and reputable breeder.
jazzygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!