View Single Post
Old 06-10-2007, 06:21 AM   #10
Coco's Mom
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Max View Post
My husband and I are in your exact situation with working long hours. We've had our yorkie a month. We were worried about the long hours as well and got a litter box with dog litter. when we are home, she is encouraged to go outside and does pretty well. There has been an accident here and there, but we watch her constantly and take her out after eating, sleeping, or playing. When we go to work, which has been 9 hours, she is placed in the bathroom with a gate at the door. The litter box, crate, food and toys fit nicely. I can't say she has used the litter box. She holds it. But if she goes, she is confined. Once or twice we have noticed she has gone in the litter box, but we think it is right when we are getting home and out of excitement. (the box is right at the gate).
I worry as well, as some days are going to be 10 hours. You can only do your best. We also crate her at night in our room and she does very well with this. To crate her all that time during the day is too much. She still has room to play and stretch out.
Good luck.
Hi there! Thanks for writing. Unfortunately the only real gateable area would be the kitchen, maybe it is too large. The bathrooms, one is too large and the other is way too small. The crate wouldn't even fit! Unfortunately my mind is going towards my original actions, which was crating her during the day.

If she is just going all over the floor, not using the paper, does that seem to be the only option? And if she stops making in the crate if I decide to do that, after how long of no crate accidents can I let her roam the house? I'm thinking that if it takes a couple of weeks and there are no accidents, maybe she's fine? And then I won't feel bad because it wasn't that lengthy of a timespan that she had to use the crate.
Coco's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!