View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 02:32 PM   #9
drawlins27
Mommy's Lil' Miracle
Donating Member

Yes, you should have taken him to the vet. I have never heard of using Karo for a problem like that. I have only heard of using Karo for hypoglycemia. Gucci has tissue hanging out that could be rectal or small intestinal. At this point, this tissue is going to start to dry or die which means surgery whereas if you can get him to vet in time, the vet may be able to push it back in if it is rectal. You should get him to a vet ASAP and that probably means an emergency vet now. See the following excerpt regarding rectal prolapse.

Early treatment is crucial. If the tissue appears to still be alive and not too traumatized, your veterinarian will try to push it back into normal position. A suture is then placed around the anus to make sure the tissue does not come out again. The suture must be loose enough to allow stool to pass out. This suture is generally left in for 48 hours and then removed.

If the rectal tissue is dried, severely traumatized or appears to be dead, surgery will need to be performed to amputate the damaged part of the intestine. The remaining tissue of the large intestine is sutured to the anus. Surgery may also be necessary if the prolapse returns after attempting to push it back inside and suturing.

It is best to avoid surgery since amputation of the rectum is fraught with complications. Serious infection and fecal incontinence can occur. Animals treated with surgery have a guarded to poor prognosis.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/rectal-...ogs/page1.aspx
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!