View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 11:32 AM   #8
Donna Jean
YT 500 Club Member

Default Feeding the puppy

You can also put a nipple on the 1cc syringe, and the baby will suck while you just barley have to push the milk in to give them the idea and get them started to suck, i use the skinny Pointed Nipples, they seem to work a lot better for these little guys, you can even see the bubbles as they are sucking and it is so much easier on their tender little gums, it also builds up their sucking ability, so they can then nurse, it gives them the idea, and you can easily keep track of how much milk they are getting. If they weigh 3 oz. they need 3cc's every 6 hours or 4 times a day. I generally feed mine that way and put them back in with their mother, and if they nurse great, if not you syringe them again. Please let us know how you are doing! I do the feeding on schedule for at least 3 days, and make sure you stimulate them to go potty after each feeding. I use mineral oil and a cotton ball. Hope this has been helpful. Also weigh them each time to know how many cc's to give them. That is the least amount they can have, they will probably nurse also, but still keep them on the feeding schedule, till you know for sure they are strong enough to hold on to the nipple and suck the milk out.
Donna Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!