View Single Post
Old 06-09-2007, 01:55 AM   #3
precious'mom
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikaTallulah View Post
A friend of mine is planning to breed her Maltese (I know different breed but I figured it doesn't hurt to ask) and asked me on what day in her heat cycle she should breed her female. Her female just had her second heat cycle so she doesn't plan on breeding her until the fall. She thought I would know since I used to stud out my golden retriever (Have since neutered him) but I don't. I always let the bitches owner chose what days she wanted to breed with him. I never keep the female at mine home nor did she keep him at her home. My golden would breed to the female on neutral territory like a friend of the female's owner's home. I figured a maltese and yorkie are roughly the same size and thus the best day(s) to breed a female to a stud would be roughly the same time. I am not technically a breeder and my golden was studded out purely because the female's owners approach me over what a good looking dog he was and still is. Also how much is a stud fee generally. The male she is going to stud against is $600 is that reasonable or should she be cautionous because it is too low. Thanks for the help.
Normally you would breed on the 9, 11, 13 day or 10, 12, and 14 day.

If you are doing just one try at it, I would go between 11th and 12th day. You can also have blood work done in order to see which is her best days to breed if you are only getting one try at it.

I think $600 is way too much for a stud that is not going to be pure Yorkie or Maltese or Lab.

I have a 4 pound male and he is AKC and I breed him for $500 but he throws off cute pups with great personalities.

I would check around before paying $600. I would request three stud times for $600 and if he is charging that much, is he giving a guarantee on the pregnancy or are you just out with no pups if she doesn't take?
precious'mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!