View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 04:12 PM   #10
Fuzzywug
Senior Yorkie Talker

Animal Smiley 019 We think alike

Chestersmom........I think we think alike!... I couldn't agree more with your advice!

Having been on both sides of the fence, foster mom and applicant, I dislike the hassle some places make it to be. We return every e-mail, every phone call. If an applicant is not suitable for that dog, I tell them right away and ask if they'd like to stay on file in case the perfect one for them arrives. If they say "yes" we check references and put notes on that application. It makes it easier in the long run to have the applicant approved. If the application is approved I call and tell them to stay in touch and I do the same. If they find a dog on another rescue site, I will contact that rescue for them to help with the process. We treat people, and dogs, the way we'd like to be treated.

The most important tools used to determine a good applicant are the vet checks and a personal conversation. It's amazing what comes up that isn't revealed in the application.

I reject some people right away, on just what they have to say: "I want a dog to carry around in my pocket," I would give it up if I got married" or " when I have a baby," I want a cute dog to jog with me," "If he pees in my house" or "If he's not very pretty." I tell them I don't have any dogs that are suitable for them. (A stuffed animal is more what they are looking for.) Really, these are actual reasons given.

The small children rule is a tough one. We will not adopt, under any circumstances, to families with children under 4 years old. I've taken in too many from those circumstances to think it will work out. I honestly believe that children that young and yorkies are not a good match. I don't want the dog or the child to get hurt. Over 5 is always a consideration.

Foster moms always stay in touch with our adopters. They usually call within 24 hours of the placement, then a week, then a month. I want them to know that the dog is loved and we're here to give any help we can. There's always a transition period. If it doesn't work out, we will take the dog back.

Our goal is to re-home yorkies! Gathering, saving, and hoarding is not what we are about. I don't believe anyone can give the necessary time and care numerous dogs require; let alone pack issues. That would defeat our purpose! Taking into consideration that these mom's also have their own yorkies - No foster mom in our rescue can have more than two fosters at any given time.

I think we may just be the type of rescue that you will trust and be happy to recommend.
Fuzzywug is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!