View Single Post
Old 05-28-2007, 03:48 AM   #8
ChestersMom
YT 500 Club Member

My advice to you is to try and be a bit open-minded when dealing with prospective new homes. So many of the rescues I've dealt with (as well as other YTers) are so anal when it comes to the application process.

ALWAYS return emails and phone calls; nothing irritates us more.

If you truly feel the applicant is not suitable, TELL THEM. That may be the most difficult issue you'll face, but you need to find a way to say no without hurting anyone's feelings or feeling guilty.

Set your limits and make them known. If you do not want to let a dog go to a home with small children, MAKE IT KNOWN UP FRONT. Don't wait until someone's heart is set to lay out the rules. Publish them up front.

As for the small children rule, I think this can be a bit unfair. There are several things to take into consideration; how young is too young? how hearty is the dog? If you're unsure, have the family bring the children and watch them interact with the dog.

Always remember that your goal is to find a forever home for the dog; not to have a herd. And yes, I've met rescue people who love playing the martyr and having a houseful; it makes them feel loved and needed - NOT THE GOAL.

Best of luck to you. I hope I've helped from the other end. I've always had rescues and because of the reactions I've received, none of them came from a rescue "group." I was once even put in the position of one group pitting me against the other. What a freaking nightmare. They just loved the drama.

You're doing a very great service. I hope all works out for you.
ChestersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!