View Single Post
Old 05-27-2007, 10:41 AM   #14
Lorraine
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulapoo View Post
Thanks, I've learned so much about it on here. Like supplements and healthy treats. Hopefully I'm just being paranoid, but something just seems "off" with him. He just came out and sat beside me for a few minutes, then went back to the bedroom. Thanks again.
The kind of behaviour you are describing is usually pain related. I would not jump to thinking Liver shunt, there could be any number of different things that could be a problem.
Starting with a general geriatric blood panel could be a start. I would be careful about a bile acid test as other reasons than shunt can elevate BA test results.
You might also have things like knees checked, for slipping patellas that could give pain.
A good vet can 'feel' for things also such as enlarged liver or spleen, that sort of thing. If there is no vomiting or diahrrea and eating/drinking normally then I doubt it is a digestive disorder.
Sometimes with unknown cause for strange behaviour could be a process of elimination where start with a blood panel if that all shows normal it could be something else.
Even parasites will cause strange behaviour even to having a bit of a seizure.
You could ask your vet about a good wormer and/or have a stool sample checked but I do caution about stool sample checks as often parasite issues can be missed. Parasites usually will cause diahrrea but not always.
Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!