View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 08:17 PM   #13
irbrenda
Senior Yorkie Talker

[QUOTE=YorkieShadow;1140823]
Mickeys came back as 80% Calcium Oxalate Dihydrate and 20% calcium oxalate monohdrate. he is now on U/D presciption food. dry and can. We got both But he wont touch the can, but is eating the dry.
My vet told me after the surgery while hes regaining his strenith sense we wouldnt eat to feed him any thing that he would eat. because he was losing weight. but now he is better he is to stay on the presription food only.QUOTE]

I sure hope your little one recovers quickly too! I've been there myself and it's heartbreaking. The recovery after surgery was tough for Ralphie. He was so depressed looking and yelped in pain everytime he tried to bark, esp. at the Fedex or UPS man. He had a hard time lifting his leg and would cry. It seemed he had no pee control at all but it took about a 5 days and then he was better. He was also neutered at the same time so he was really in pain.

The U/D food canned is disgusting to look at. If you read the ingredients, the food's not even for aliens! I really wonder how this keeps their urine on track! I use a few pieces of dry food with the canned because he really hates the canned but he likes the dry. He picks out the dry first and then eats the rest. I always add water to the food too.....ugh!

One thing I do on a weekly basis: I bought the urine PH test strips and I monitor Ralphie's PH levels. It should be between 6.5 and 7.0, which is neutral. The higher the PH level is, the urine turns alkaline and can form struvite stones, and too acidic causes calcium oxalate stones to form.

Ralphie and I send our best wishes to all!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!