View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 02:09 PM   #7
irbrenda
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie'smom View Post
Thanks for the reply. They are sending the stone off to be tested but they said it will take 7-10 days to get the results back. I won't be picking her up until tomorrow but I'm not sure what food to give her in the meantime? Should I just continue with her normal diet? She has been eating some of the puppy's food, do you think that could have caused the stone? Also, should I worry about this being hereditary?? I know I can ask my vet about all of this but I like to have a few points of view from someone who knows about it.
I too am praying for your baby. I went thru this a few months back with Ralphie (5yrs old) and the stones were calcium oxalate...the more common stone in males. He was on excellent food before this all happened but the vet put him on Hill's Prescription U/D diet stuff for his type of stones. As I've posted many times here, I'm not thrilled with the food at all. It's some scary ingredients in there but it's kept his urine PH at the correct levels and that's all I can ask for.

After his surgery I was told to keep him on his regular food until the lab reports came back. It did take about 2 weeks. He has been fine on the crappy Hill's food. In fact, he had a bout of HGE this past weekend...hemorrhagic gastroenteritis...and the emergency vet put him on Hill's W/D food, which is for weight control.

When I took him yesterday to be checked, his urine PH was not good again so he's back on the U/D diet food for now. You cannot alter or add your own conconctions once they start on that diet...no treats either. Seems mean but he has been wonderful.

We're praying for Katie's quick recovery!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!