View Single Post
Old 05-24-2007, 12:50 PM   #5
Cidney
Senior Yorkie Talker

I had a Yorkie that had chronic Struvite stones, in fact he had to have 4 surgeries and they started when he was age 4.

I am not trying to scare you but dont play around with this, I think the vets I took him too treated the symptoms and not the actual problem. After the 3rd surgery we all thought Chip we be ok but nope, he had another stone to develope a 4th time and the vet didnt know what to do so he tried something pretty radical. Chip was a boy dog and the vet thought it would help if he totally re-routed his internal plumbing the way a male dog urinates. The short of it was, Chip no longer had any use for his penis and the vet created an opening as if he was a girl dog to urinate that way. The reason the vet did this was to see if the stone would pass easier if it had a straight shot rather than the going thru a curve (cant remember the medical term) of the penis. Shortly after that surgery, during a check up about a month later the vet could tell it wasnt working, Chip was already accumulating sand like crystals around the new opening. I was sent to Texas A&M to see if they could help save my little Chip. Two days later I had to say a final goodbye to Chip because there was nothing that could be done for him even though he was a happy, playful dog until the very end - it ripped my heart out.

Here is the part that makes me too mad to think about. The Tx A&M vet did a test and could tell right away the stones were developing because the liver wasnt doing its job - his liver was shot all to he!!. I have no idea why the other vets never thought to check his liver and I even suggested it could be ther results of a shunt but because Chip didnt show any of the classic shunt signs, the vet totally disregarded it.

My point to this long message - ask the vet to run a test on her liver as well to make sure the enzyme levels are normal, Please save your self the grief on any possible stones later down the road again.
Cidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!