View Single Post
Old 05-23-2007, 08:44 AM   #3
autumn star
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickey007 View Post
This is my method of housebreaking Reagan, keep in mind though that I'm home during the day so...

I think when she first came home I was taking her out about once an hour, it quickly went to two hours though, then eventually 4, to now whenever she needs to go. What I would do is about 15-25 minutes before she went out I would put her in her crate then pull her out at the hour or 2 hours or whatever take her potty(she goes outside) if she went I would leave her out of her crate it she didn't I would put her back in her crate and try again in 5-10 minutes. I wasn't putting her in a time out I was crating her so she didn't have run of the house or whatever part of the house she was allowed in until she went. I only took her out every hour for the first week or so mainly until I figured out how often she was going. As she got older I would increase the time between potty breaks. This way she was able to be out and by me or whatever between potty time but I would get her well before she would go and contain her until it was time. One thing you really need to watch for if you do it this way is the water. I have always left water down for her but if she went in and drank a bunch of water chances are she'd going to have to pee shortly. This is the way we did it but I'm sure others have more methods I think the best thing is to have an open mind about all of them and pick the one that you think fits your life the best, try it and if it legitimately doesn't work try another.
Great tip!!!
autumn star is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!