Old 05-22-2007, 11:49 AM   #8
Ladylavender
YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frick n Frack View Post
Here is the schedule I've been following:

5:45am - outside
6am - feed them
7am - outside and then leave for work (dogs in crate)
11am - outside during my lunch break
11:30am - back in crate go back to work
3:30pm - come home, dogs outside
5pm - dinner and go outside
then every hour/hour and a half take them outside till 10pm (bed)

Now generally, in the evenings they can roam the living room and play while we watch tv and be trusted about 45 minutes (but only with one eye on the tv and the other on them). But after that, they don't signal and just go on the floor. They rarely have accidents anymore because I don't trust them very much and so I preemptively take them outside or crate them until the 60 minutes is up.
This is exactly what you need to be doing along with the praise and treats. The fact that you are eliminating the chance of mistakes, is excellent!

However, you must keep this regiment up until it does click for them (and it will). It took Millie almost 6 and 1/2 months for it to click with her and she finally got that no potty in the house. This is going to be a chore and it's going to be a great challenge, because you are tired after working all day and you just want to lay around and relax. (you will eventually, but just not now).

So I don't know how long you have been doing the crate training routine thing, but expect it to take at least 1/2 a year or (6 mos). (It can be shorter if you are lucky, or longer if you are not).

So there is light at the end of the tunnel, it's just a long tunnel!

Last edited by Ladylavender; 05-22-2007 at 11:50 AM.
Ladylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!