View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 09:43 AM   #5
lisatodd
Little Boogers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiegirl83 View Post
I'm having potty training issues as well, but I don't agree with that method. I would never do something to make one of my dogs fear me, and that is what I see happening w/that method. They don't potty in the house because they're terrified that will happen again, and to me that isn't acceptable. I like to PRAISE my dogs for every little thing they do right and reward them by giving them affection/treats instead of scaring or punishing them to do what I want. Even if it takes months and months until they get it, I'd rather do it w/positive reinforcement than with fear or punishment.

To the OP.. I just wanted to say that I know it is a REAL challenge to potty train. I have 4 puppies 1 year and under and only one is 100% reliable at this time. But my little girl Lula that was terrible at potty training and refused to go outside is now GETTING IT and after 4 months that is a huge accomplishment for my fiancee and I. Sure, she still makes mistakes, but they're a lot less frequent now.

Try to think of it as a learning process and think about how excited you will be when it clicks for them and they finally get it !
the dogs don't fear you at all. I HAVE NEVER DONE IT. my muffie loves my daddy more than our family. it took one time and that was it. believe me, my father is one of the biggest dog lovers i know. he grew up with his sister breeding them. he was always around them and other animals. my aunt had 4 monkeys, 15 chickens, 1 posseum, 15 cats, and 30 dogs. no, she was not running a puppy mill. most of these dogs were fixed. but if she saw a stray, she would take it in. she worked in the coal mines and died in the coal mines. she was one of the 1st women coal miners and the first woman to ever die in the coal mines. the people talked about her keeping dog food in the back of her car so that when she passed a dog on the side of the road she would feed them. she would bring cheese to the coal mines to feed the rats (YUK).

Kat Counts
01/24/1932 - 6/21/1983

Born January 24 1932, Mary K. "KAT" Counts was just like any other person in Dickenson County. Her family consisted of her mother, father and 5 siblings. Times were hard back then, so when she was old enough, she went to work in the coal mines. A very prevalent job during that era, Kat enjoyed success at her job. During her life, she worked at 3 different coal mines, including working at Open Fork, Splashdam, and finally, at a mines in McClure.

It was at the McClure mines one sunny summer day when tragedy struck. What Kat didn't know that morning when she woke up, was that her fate, along with 7 other hard working miners, was already sealed. Sometime during her shift, a gas explosion ripped though the mines. The explosion claimed 7 lives that day. Unfortunately, it gave Kat the unwilling fame as being know as Virginia's first woman to die in the coal mines.
The 7 brave miners who lost their lives that day were Kat Counts, Covey J. French, Dale Stamper, Jr, Forest Carter "F. C." Riner, Jr, Ernest A. Hall, Luther J. McCoy and Eugene W. Meade.

we called her KAT due to the animals she had.

this is where my father learned to love animals.
soon their may be a movie about her.
a writer is gathering information about her now.

believe me, i grew up with this method and i can never do it. but back in the day, this is what you did. times have changed and praise is the way to go.

i don't know why i am babbling on, i guess i just wanted you to know we love our babies and would never never do anything to hurt them.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!