View Single Post
Old 05-22-2007, 12:57 AM   #8
Dougal&Little
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Dogs don't understand any language. It's a matter of them associating a sound that comes out of your mouth with a desired action. You could teach your dog to "sit" on the word "bananas" if you felt like it. My dogs will even work without words - I have hand cues for: sit, down, and wait. Competition obedience ONLY uses hand commands.

I have always been taught to be consistent and only have one word for each command. But this is for a situation where the dog's being tested on the speed at which they respond to the command (agility).

I'm sure that you could teach a dog that more than one sound requires the same action. But when you're first teaching a command I would be consistent and only use the one word in one language. Once your dog is really really solid then you can start adding a new command word.

It's got to be what works for you. I know I have a tendency to use more than one word for some things - and the yorkies can usually guess what I mean -- but it does take them longer to figure it out.

Dougal's Facebook Dixie's Facebook
Dougal&Little is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!