View Single Post
Old 01-20-2005, 08:39 AM   #2
lucynfred
Senior Yorkie Talker

Start grooming, playing with ears, clipping toes, etc. now. Even if her coat looks fine, groom everday. For a thick coat, I'd use a pin brush since he's a puppy, but once he gets his adult coat in switch to a brush. If you don't like the pin brushes, you can use a mustache comb instead. Puppy fur is so much finer and more wreckless, so it seems to me it mats easier. Use a grooming spray too. There are tons to choose from.

I clip Luca Dean's nails with a human nail clipper. Just make sure it still cuts cleanly so Lola doesn't get ragged edges on her nails. As long as you start early on all this stuff and do it often, even if she looks okay one day, do it anyway. That way she will get used to being groomed and it won't be such a hassle. Dean's okay with the grooming part after three weeks -- finally! But he was 5 months when I got him and probably hadn't been groomed a lot.

His ears were up though!!! You can tape up their ears with tape -- someone else will have to explain this one. If you like the floppy look, you can leave them down too. Unless you plan on showing Lola, the ears being up is a matter of preference. Their first cut/groom/clip can be done whenever. I pull the scissors out about every other day and try to work on Dean's ears and feet, just to keep him used to the scissors. You can groom yourself, but I'm no poster child for that! I gave Dean a rather unbecoming haircut -- he had awful mats around his face and tailend. I tried for two hours to get them all out, and it was the first time I'd ever dealt with mats, so I ended up buzzing his body, leaving tail, legs and head hair on. Then I clipped his muzzle with scissors and that was really what made him look non-yorkie like. His hair grows fast though -- he'll be yorkie looking in about 3 more weeks!

Good luck to you! I'm sure other Yorkietalkers will post some more useful info on the ears. You may try a forum search on that too for detailed instructions.

Welcome Lola and Lola's Mom!
lucynfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!