View Single Post
Old 05-20-2007, 08:07 AM   #3
JENNGENE01_
Senior Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by artie merlino View Post
Now Iv'e heard everything.......Since when are "Silky Terriers" in the "Yorkshire Terrier" Family? I met someone the other day in passing and she had a "Silky Terrier", she told me she used to have a "Yorkie" but it was too small and fragile for her taste! So she decided to get a "Silky Terrier" instead since it was bigger and still in the "Yorkie Family". I've also been told by others that there are 3 sizes for Yorkies; teacup 2-3 lbs., standard 5-7 lbs. and English bred @ 10 lbs. and over! I can't stand this labeling and debate over "Size"? I researched all 8 books I had on "Yorkshire Terriers" and
I could not find any reference to this new classification of different weight classes? Or anything that said that "Silky Terriers" are Large "Yorkies" or even in the same Family? Are'nt they 2 seperate different Breeds? According to the AKC. anyway.
Yes you are right Yorkies and Silky are not the same at all. People like to say that they are the same because of the color but they aren't. Yorkies come in all sizes and there is no such thing as a teacup yorkie regardless of what people tell you they are runts. The standard size for a "show yorkie is 5 to 7 lbs" but yorkies can be double that size. once in a while in a litter there is a small one and a larger pup. It doesn't change what they are.
JENNGENE01_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!