View Single Post
Old 05-19-2007, 07:39 AM   #1
nicolamaher
Donating Yorkie Yakker

Unhappy Luxating Patella

My Yorkie, Poppy who is 4, has just been diagnosed with a Luxating Patella, I took her to the vet on Friday as she was limping badly when I got home, the vet inspected her and checked her back leg joints etc then explained it was a Luxating Patella, she was given a Metacam injection to help with inflammation and some Metacam drops to be given once a day, but she woke me at 5am puffing, panting and shaking. I carried her down stairs and put her on the grass in the garden to have a wee and she could barely stand up. I took her back in and she went to sleep but woke again this morning very stressed out puffing, panting and shaking again. I got worried so I took her back to the vet who has prescribed her a very small dose of Valium to get her to relax. She is now laying on the bed resting. My vet did inform me that if she does not improve by Monday then she will need an operation.
Im having to carry her everywhere as she isnt allowed to climb the stairs or jump up on anything, which as you will know with a Yorkie, its very difficult to stop her doing. Will massaging her leg help? She seems to want to lay on her bad leg all the time.
Despite having Yorkie's in the family all my life I have never come across this. Any advise would be much appreciated.
nicolamaher is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!