Thread: TV and children
View Single Post
Old 05-18-2007, 08:32 AM   #9
Jenn218
Mojo, LilyGrace & Me
Donating Member

My daughter is 13 and has had a tv in her room for years (can't remember when we bought her one). BUT she rarely watches it....she is always downstairs w/ us....unless we were wanting to watch Survivor and she wanted to watch Ugly Betty....then for that hour, she would be up there, but then come down to watch tv with us again after her show was off.

Now, when friends come over and they don't feel like doing anything else, they will put in a movie up there and watch.

We don't have parental controls on our tv's....I guess because we seldom watch tv to begin w/ (we are an outdoorsy family) and then we don't have cable or satelitte, so the five channels we get, are pretty easy to control what is on and not on.

My daughter has friends and we have to approve what they watch when they come over...their parents make sure they know what they are watching. They are 13 and are still watching little kids movies (which my daughter still does sometimes, but there are some good preteen movies out there, some not so good, but still). I kind of feel sorry for them because what is going to happen when they are in a situation (not a bad one, but an every day teen situation) and have never seen or dealt w/ it before??!!

One of her friends said....her mom will let her watch whatever as long as she doesn't do any of it. The same w/ my daughter, we "kind of" pay attention to what she watches, but not really because we know how we have raised her and knows that she will learn from what she sees and she knows the difference between an actor getting paid for this and real life.

Last edited by Jenn218; 05-18-2007 at 08:36 AM.
Jenn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!