Thread: help!
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2007, 04:31 AM   #8
Ladylavender
YT 500 Club Member

I agree, exercise him more. This is the number one reason that dogs have behavioral issues. They are bored or have pent up energy that they cannot get rid of. When Millie was a puppy, we had to take her out for 2 walks a day, Once in the am before we went to work (yes, it was dark and we had to take a flashlight) and when we got back home from work. (Cold, hot or otherwise) then on top of that, we had to play with her for a good while. Either fetch the ball or tug-of-war with the stuffed toys. We used to sit on the floor and play and play and play. My husband and I tag teamed it.

They require a lot of work when they are puppies so that they grow up to be relaxed, behaved adults. So the effort you put into it now, will generate great rewards later with a well-mannered dog.

You need to re-direct his chewing to appropriate things. this also takes work and consistency. But if you work at it, soon he'll know what he can and cannot chew on. You need to watch him and make sure you catch right away when he chews on the wrong things and praise him when he chews on the right things.

So do the time and soon, yes soon, you will begin to enjoy this beautiful bundle of joy. I noticed significant maturity in Millie about 9 months old, 1 year old and 18 months old. Each was a milestone in maturity.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!