View Single Post
Old 05-15-2007, 03:42 PM   #3
loz
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Hi,

Sorry to read about your yorkie having a bacterial type skin problem.
I recently lost my yorkie due to a kidney problem. She suffered with her skin for 5 years. Someone told me that weed killer could be the cause of skin disorders. I found my doggie was worse in the Summer and thought it had a lot to do with flea bites and a reaction to them. My vet thought this.

My dog was given anti-bio and on occasion steriods and Malaseb which is an anti-bacterial shampoo. The shampoo helped alot but it was hard leaving it on wet skin for 10 mins as my dog used to shiver, shake and make funny noises as she didn't like being wet for long. Her skin did improve after the steriods but she put on weight with them (short term medication only).
I continued with the shampoo and this helped also.

I suggest you try the medication to see if this helps.

Someone did tell me a few years ago that some Yorkies do suffer with skin problems. Mine certainly did. It isn't nice to see your dog scratching and biting I know but try the medication and if you think it isn't working then go to another vet and ask for a second opinion.

I was also told that a blood test MIGHT give the answer to your dog's skin problem - worth a try if you can afford it!

Also, try changing the diet for 7 days to a non protein one just to see if this helps the skin.

I hope this helps.

Loz
loz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!