View Single Post
Old 05-13-2007, 07:53 PM   #1
tgsplano
Yorkie Yakker

Default Hair Loss 8 Weeks After Whelping??

I have a female yorkie that had her first litter of puppies about 8 weeks ago. She is out of champion lines and normally has a very thick steel and gold coat - which was about 4 inches long at whelping. She is unusual in the fact that she sleeps on her back much of the time. She even nursed the pups while laying on her back about as often as on her side. Everything was fine, but either the sire brought fleas into our home or we didnt notice we had them just before she whelped the pups. We have not treated either dog for fleas since the mother was bred due to health concerns to the pups. She noticeably has been losing hair for the last 2 weeks. I trimmed her coat very short - originally the loss was most noticeable on her back and I thought it might be due to her laying on her back and getting too hot. Initially it looked like it was mostly her steel coat affected, but now I think the gold is affected as well. It's not local to one spot so I don't think it's mange. She does scratch quite a bit at times and she is starting to get a few small sores on her skin - it's hard to tell if it's due to scratching or not. None of the other dogs appear to have the issue. The pups are no longer nursing so I'm going to treat both parents for fleas and mange tomorrow. I just took the pups to the vet and plan on taking her with me next visit, but is there anything else this might be? Can fleas cause this? The infestation doesn't appear to be very bad yet - she doesn't seem too bothered by any of it - she just has a few scratch sessions from time to time.

Thanks everyone.
tgsplano is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!