Thread: Baby on the way
View Single Post
Old 05-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #4
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

I would do an in-home visit with a trainer - make sure it's a clicker/cookie trainer because you want the dog to have a good experience. You don't want new child to = harsh methods.

I would have a lot of suggestions because Loki likes to bark at other dogs and is also protective of me, and I was concerned about how he would handle Sammy when she came to live with us. He didn't react in the jealous/protective way I was worried about. I thought he would get mad if I held her, he didn't, although he did become more affectionate. I thought he would get mad if she took his bully stick - at first she wasn't interested and he was thrilled about that but now she takes his stuff all the time and he just sits there confused and gives me this sad look. I reward him for not barking at her or trying to take it back.

The only issue we've had was feeding time. Food is the most important thing in the world to Loki. Sammy's only slightly interested in food. Therefore Loki freak out thinking he had to share and then try to finish Sammy's food. Luckily, since I've done training with Loki, I knew how to handle the situation. That's why I recommend taking a class and having an in-home visit so that you can learn the skills NOW to be able to deal with things. Also, make sure that you have a crate and know how to use it. There simply will be times when you cannot supervise dog AND baby and it's best if he is confined. Loki thinks crate time is NAP time and runs to his crate for a treat!
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!