Thread: liver shunt
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2007, 07:52 PM   #8
Yorkieluv
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

I remember your post from awhile back and she was showing symptoms of hepatic encephalopathy...

She really needs to be on a low protein, vegetarian diet as soon as possible.
There are many options out there...Petco sells Solid Gold Holistique Blendz, Natural Balance Vegetarian...Also, you can feed Avoderm vegetarian.

Every time she ingests protein, it turns to ammonia...In healthy liver, the ammonia is filtered through the liver, but when there's a liver shunt, the ammonia bypasses the liver and enter's your baby's blood and nervous system...causing seizures and all kinds of bad things in the body...
Also, lactulose is necessary for a dog with liver problems...This is the most important thing, in my opinion...It helps push those nasty toxins out of the body. The amount of lactulose should be based on the consistency of the stool. On lactulose, your baby's stool should be formed, but loose. Not firm, and not diarrhea...It should be given with meals or directly after meals.
I'm surprised that your vet has not recommended either of these things.

Please keep us updated on your baby's condition and please do not hesitate to ask any questions...I sent you a pm also.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!