View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 05:36 PM   #1
tammy8833
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default a little info for people so against mixing

This is probably not going to take well but im really upset with people stating things about mixing breed for example about them being pathetic and ruining the standard and one person even told me digusting, and a true breeder should know the history of the breed and that EVERY breed has been mixed with other breeds to get that desired dog here is the info for several places including akc.org
AKC.ORG

The Yorkshire Terrier traces to the Waterside Terrier, a small longish-coated dog, bluish-gray in color, weighing between 6 and 20 pounds (most commonly 10 pounds). The Waterside Terrier was a breed formed by the crossing of the old rough-coated Black-and-Tan English Terrier (common in the Manchester area) and the Paisley and Clydesdale Terriers. It was brought to Yorkshire by weavers who migrated from Scotland to England in the mid-19th century.

The Yorkshire Terrier made its first appearance at a bench show in England in 1861 as a "broken-haired Scotch Terrier". It became known as a Yorkshire Terrier in 1870 when, after the Westmoreland show, Angus Sutherland reported in The Field magazine that "they ought no longer be called Scotch Terriers, but Yorkshire Terriers for having been so improved there."

History

The Yorkshire Terrier also called Yorkie had its origin in the late 1800s early 1900s. It is not knows when exactly. The Yorkie was derived from mainly the Clydesdale Terrier, The Black and Tan English Toy Terrier and the Maltese.
The Yorkie's name indicates were it originated from, namely Yorkshire in England or surroundings. The Yorkie's main function was to control the rat population in the coalmines and cotton mills. The Yorkie was much bigger at the time than we know a Yorkie today.
The breed is only 100 years old or so, but its origins are not entirely certain - probably because the working men of north England, who developed the Yorkshire Terrier for catching the terrible rats that infested the mine shafts and as a hunting dog that could penetrate into badger and fox burrows, avoided divulging the secret of their success to those who might have cashed in on a lucrative side line. However, it seems likely that Scotsmen seeking work in the woolen mills of Yorkshire brought with them various types of terrier, including the Skye and the now extinct Clydesdale. These were then crossed with local types, such as the long- haired Leeds Terrier. The Maltese, Black & Tan Manchester, and Dandie Dinmont Terriers may also have contributed blood lines. At first, the Yorkie was a much bigger animal than the one we see today, but by selectively breeding the smallest individuals, the dog was gradually miniaturized over the years. They were made into a fashion dog. Women carried these little dogs in their bags and under their arms. The first Yorkshire, with the characteristics demanded by its standard today, appeared in a do

every great breed begins as a mix! its a TRUE and FACTURAL thing. and to say that mixing is ruining can all together be incorrect. one day these mixed breeds may be registered with akc. so before you start raving about how prestine the purebred yorkie is think how you got a yorkie... there was more than two breeds involved wow that sounds like a mungrel to me.

This is not to start an agument thought it may but its to open the eyes of people who look down on the persons who may be trying to invent that new breed and do it correctly. im not stating that i am but there are people who work extremely hard to perfect their yorkie-poos and morkies, and so forth

Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!