View Single Post
Old 05-08-2007, 09:47 AM   #6
BamaFan121s
Donating YT 10K Club Member

I would try to find a another vet/opinion BEFORE breeding her. You never want to intentionally breed a bitch if you KNOW in advance she will have problems with a free whelp. C-sections should be performed as a last resort, not planned as the method of delivery. Maybe this vet saw something you didn't...you need to make sure that your girl won't be at risk first first, not when it is too late.
Finding a vet that is an absolute expert in Yorkies--not dogs, or small dogs, but actually Yorkies--would be heaven, but I wouldn't think is likely. However, you would be amazed how much you can learn from an experienced breeder. They can answer questions specific to the breed that a vet cannot.
My female has had two litters thus far. The only real change with her I noticed that was lasting is she became mearly 'tolerant' of our Basset compared to being her play mate and not leaving her side before hand. As far as our male, once he was used as a stud the first time, his behavior changed greatly. Anytime one of the females was in heat, he would pant, not eat, whine, shake, mark etc. We brought another male into the house and he became 'snappy' with him. We actually have retired him as a stud, had him neutered and the problems ceased.
BamaFan121s is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!