View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 08:50 PM   #1
dizpatch
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Default Airline travel within the United States with your pet

The very most important thing, 1st CHECK with the airline before you purchase your ticket.

FAA rules only allow 2 pets in the cabin at anytime, you don’t want to purchase your ticket and then find out they do not have a spot for your fur baby.

The fee is one way and the price varies by the airline, anywhere from $50-$100. Again this depends on the airline. Also you need to know that, that fee is only one way. You will be charge again for the return flight. Some airlines charge at the time you book your ticket, some have you come to the counter and pay when you check in. I have done it both ways. I personally like paying when I purchase my ticket, a little more secure(that I have spot) in my opinion.

What do you need for your fur baby to be able to fly?

· You must have a current Health Certificate from your vet. This is not for the airline, it is for the FAA. Sometimes you are asked for it, sometimes you are not. But if you are asked, and you don’t have it, you will not be able to board the plane, no matter what! Even if you have paid for the spot for your fur baby. Here is something to take note of. Did you know that a Health Certificate is only good for 14 days? Make sure if you are going to be gone for more than 14 days that you have a vet on the other end to do another Health Certificate.

· For in cabin

An approved carrier, soft sided or a very small hard sided crate. It must fit under the seat. You can check the airlines web site for exact dimensions, they are listed there.

· For Cargo(where the luggage goes)

An approved, hard sided crate. Check airline website for details

Food and water must be available.

Temperatures must meet FAA regulations. See airline web site for more info.

· Security and your fur baby. If your fur baby is flying in cabin you will need to go through Security with your fur baby. Be prepared, you will need to put their carrier in one of the tubs and then some Security have the fur baby walk through the metal detector on leash and others have you hold them and go through and then run a wand over them when you get to the other side. Also sometimes Security will ask to see Health Certificate and also your ticket. This ensures that you have paid to have your fur baby in cabin. So keep them handy.

Muriel
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!