View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 07:44 AM   #11
coroth
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erin View Post
HAHA!! Sorry it's funny because Loki will eat anything and everything I put in front of him. He would eat all the kibble and then still try to go for anything home cooked! There's no need to entice him to eat. Sammy either - she doesn't inhale her food but she does eat it when I give it to her.

We feed them twice a day. Loki's had advanced obedience classes so I make him do a down-stay while I prepare the food. Then they come over and both have to sit while I set the food down and then they can eat when I say "OK"

I'm not sure what they mean by "withholding" food? Sometimes when I'm doing lots of training and I don't want Loki to fill up on treats I will give him his dinner piece by piece instead. But sometimes I also put it in a puzzle toy or whatever to keep him busy. It's great to have them "earn" their food - but if this is some cowboy trainer that thinks you need to starve your dog to show him who is boss, I'd get a new trainer.

What kind of dominance issues are you having? I don't really like that word. Does your dog just not have any boundaries or rules? If he is aggressive/reactive are you sure it is not due to fear or something else, not dominance?

My little Beau will bite anything that runs, he will bite children if I am holding them in the air (he will jump up and nip their feet!), he growls if anyone besides me moves in the bed while we are all sleeping, he protects every toy he has with growling and nipping, and he doesn't listen to a thing I say...even though we are going through obedience. He's my first dog that I have ever had...so when he was little he was SPOILED...and now I'm thinking that I spoiled him ROTTEN. My trainer was saying what other people are saying, to give him food twice a day at certain times but make him work for it first.

Also, I would like to say thank you to everyone for their input. It has really helped out.
coroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!