Thread: Breeding goals
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2007, 07:03 AM   #9
tegamom1
Donating YT 500 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post
My goal, when I first started was to breed some nice dogs that I can show myself, sell anything I don't want for the show rings as nice pets to people who are excellent homes.
My goal hasn't changed over the years. I found however, in order to do that, I needed a mentor(s) to help me know what a great dog looks like and why. I also needed help choosing what to keep and what not to keep in a breeding program. I could not apply the breed standard on my own as I didn't know enough about how to interpret that standard. I needed well seasoned show experienced breeders of many generations show dogs of their own breeding to help me.
I can't fathom how any breeder can help someone with show dogs who hasn't done it themselves.
I had to be willing to run a dog or bitch on to a year old or even more to decide if this was a good addition to my breeding program. Then be willing to spay/neuter no matter how much I had put into it because it just was not to my expectations.
I had to decide that my dogs don't owe me anything; they don't owe me an income, they don't have to support themselves, they cost me money and that's the way it is.
I could sell likely a show dog but I don't because foremost, I don't feel I have established my own line and people would want one of my dogs for the kennel name(s) that is behind it. If I get to the stage where my pedigrees are primarily my kennel name on most of my dogs, I guess I would consider that I have arrived.
Meanwhile, I consider the advice and experience of longtime reputable show breeders. And strive to produce a nice Yorkie with my original goal still in mind.
Lorraine, excellent post! You said it all! Having a long time reputable show breeder/exhibitor to advise and direct is invaluable. Although, I showed other breeds and bred very selectively years ago, Yorkies were something entirely new to me. I have been so fortunate to have found a wonderful mentor (actually 2, I kind of got a package deal) that are willing to lead me in the right direction. I now have a new beautiful little boy and, yes, I do look forward to breeding my first Yorkie champion, but that will be down the road after championing this little guy. I still have a lot of learning to do, but am fortunate to have the right people to help me along the way. Everything takes time, patience and study and a "good friend" to lead you down the right path.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!