View Single Post
Old 06-22-2005, 10:00 AM   #11
vainchick5
YT 6000 Club Member

WELCOME! and congrats on your new baby Mia. What an adorable name! So I'm going to list all the things I've done for Coco through suggestions from here and her vet. So by no means is this professional advice:

1.) stainless steel bowls, plastic ones collect bacteria and cause allergies (learned the hard way)
2.) She can be on Advantage Flea Control at I believe 10 weeks
3.) DO NOT use baby shampoo, the PH levels are different for humans and animals
4.) Make sure to use good shampoo and conditioner for their coat (http://www.chrissystems.com/) good stuff
5.) Food should be healthy kibbles, with more healthy ingredients. Among the best according to magazines and vets are Innova, and nature's balance.
6.) If she's eating well, no need for milk supplements. Just mix hard kibble with soft canned food or drizzle water on the kibble to soften it up.
7.) Honey water is always recommended because yorkies are hypoglicemic, so their blood sugar can drop with excessive exercise. So for a couple of months provide her with honey water. Just mix a tablespoon with her water.
8.) No rawhide bones, Small chew toys plush or plastic. Also recommend some kind of dental chews like Nylabone.
9.) Start brushing teeth early. Yorkies are famous for bad teeth. Teeth cleanings can get expensive so take care of them now.
10.) You can get a brush, and brush her daily to avoid matting. You can get those little brushes with thin metally bristles. I got Coco the soft bristle kind, but they are really good as massage therapy and avoiding matting.
11.) If you like having your bed to yourself, keep her in her crate at night until she's a bit older so she can sleep in her own bed. She will whine and whimper for possible several weeks, but I just ignored Coco when she did that. I pet her and reassured her that I was there, but I didn't pick her up. Once they know they can have anything they want by whinning it doesn't stop.
12.) No jumping off high places (couches, beds, chairs, stairs, ect.) She can break her bones.
13.) Be consistent with potty training. She's too young to go outside so train her on puppy pads inside the house. Don't place them near her food or bed. Every 30 minutes take her to them and tell her "Go potty" or something similar. Reward her when she goes on them, go crazy happy. She will eventually get it.
14.) Can't be with other animals, on grass or outside on lease at least till 16 weeks, till she gets all her shots.
15.) Start heartworm medicine at 8weeks (ask vet). Musquitos can kill your pup. If Mia gets bitten, she can have heartworm, which for a pup that small can be fatal. Now that summer is coming musquitos are swarming.
16.) Learn from groomers how to pluck her ear hairs, to avoid infections. Also learn to trim her hair around her pads on her feet.
17.) If you want to discourage chewing or biting, purchase Bitter Apple spray. It's a very bitter tasting thing that they don't like. It's helped me stop coco from biting, chewing, ect.
18.) If you will be gone during the day, DO NOT give her run of the house or even a room. it's still too much for her. She can get scared or worse, hurt herself. So just keep her in her crate or a small 2-3foot area (gated off). I crate trained Coco , and now at 4 months she's 95% potty trained. It's not mean, they actually love it in there and they nap. That is what puppies do and they need it, so don't interrupt her napping time.
19.) Always keep an eye on her, not only for potty purpose (if you see her sniffing a lot or circling, take her to the pads) but to make sure she's not eating anything she's not supposed to.
20.) putting music on for her at night might help her stay calm, or a ticking clock (sounds of mom's beating heart) wrapped with a blanket.
21.)food and water need to be left for her 24 hours a day. But she needs to be fed her big meals, 2-3 times a day. I feed Coco, once before I leave for work in the morning and once when I get back, but she always has a little bit of hard kibbles to munch on and fresh honey water to drink. I recently stopped the honey water because she's gained some weight (2lbs at 16 weeks) and is stronger.
22.) Do lots of playing, so she can get used to you and make sure she's on a feeding and potty schedule if you can. It makes everything easier.
23.) get her used to riding in a car early. Some dogs freak out. Mine loves it because she knows she is not left out of anything.
24.) These yorkies don't have fur, they have hair, so they can't stay warm like other hairy dogs. If your place is cold, provide blanket for her, or buy her little Pj's.
25.) If she shakes/shivers don't worry it's normal. They do that when they are scared, nervous, excited, ect.
26.) Go to the vet to start on her set of shots. They will at that time deworm her (mothers milk has some stuff in it that could cause them to get sick if not dewormed..it's just medicine given to them orally), and give her the parvo/distemper shot. There will be other shots provided if you want them but Coco's vet has only been giving her one treatment at a time because they are so tiny.
I think thats it for now...haha...let me know if you have questions.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!