View Single Post
Old 05-01-2007, 10:08 AM   #11
SophieRose
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sallyvine View Post
On Apr. 18, I posted about the death of my precious 9 year old Mac. Final pathology reports have confirmed he died of protein losing enteropathy most likely caused by intestinal lymphangiectasia. If dogs are asymptomatic (as Mac was ) the only way to detect this is through blood tests. My vet said they start these routinely when the dog is seven. Mac always had his teeth cleaning and physical in May. I assume this condidtion started after May of 2006. If I get another Yorkie I will insist he be tested at least twice a year for albumen levels. You can check the site below for further info.

I am looking to adopt another Yorkie. I am working with YorkiesInc. Does anyone have any other recommendations for reliable adoption sites? I live in CT. I wish all the best to those who have sick doggies.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/inte...giectasia.html
Ahh, poor Mac. He tummy must have been so very painful. That is exactly what Sophie died from on January 23. She had been treated for quite a few years with similar diagnosis, and finally after Budesonid for colitis, so many medications and inability to hold food long enough to build strength, she had to be put down. She had fluid on her chest also, and couldn't stand anymore. A very painful decision, but it was the best for her.

Yes, all geriatric animals should have specialized panels done to test protein levels. Expensive but worth it, however, if I had the opportunity to go back even one year, I would have taken her to an internist as my second opinion vet suggested.

Thanks for sharing and again I am so sorry for your loss. Warmly, Deborah
SophieRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!