View Single Post
Old 04-29-2007, 08:04 AM   #4
Jenn218
Mojo, LilyGrace & Me
Donating Member

Hi and congrats on the new rescue!

From experience, almost every jack russell I have encountered has been hyper and slightly aggrassive....it is true! I'm not saying anything bad about the breed because I think they are super cute, but all the ones I have been around have acted out in this way.

Also, is he neutered? That has seemed to help most rescues when we have brought them home...none of ours were ever spayed or neutered before we got them and they have never gotten along w/ our dogs....even Luke our big mellow lab...he didn't like Mojo at first - two intact males in the house...course, they are both now neutered and are best buddies! Neutering may help (and it may not), but it is a good thing to try.....it has good health benefits too.

Also, do you know the history of this dog? Was it abused, mistreated, etc. Some rescues that we have brought home that were mistreated, took months and some even years to warm up. Our German Shepard, just got to where she would take a treat from our hand (just this year). They remember where they came from, even if they are in most loving of homes. She also still will not go on a leash or get into the truck, etc. But, she will play, give kisses, want to cuddle, etc. It is funny (well, sad too) how some rescue are.

I agree w/ the above....time, love, patience and crate training him. When Luke was brought home, both he and Mojo would get disciplined for their actions...they both were in the wrong, both got in trouble and both new it.

Please keep us posted. Oh, I also worry about physical harm to the smaller of the two. Jack Russells are small dogs too, but stocky and all muscle. They are pretty stout dogs....
Jenn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!