View Single Post
Old 06-21-2005, 12:56 PM   #1
minniemn
YT Addict

Default Normal weight gain for puppies?

Does anyone know what is normal weight gain for puppies? like from birth to week one, then week two ect?

I have had my puppies yet again to the vet, for diarrhea... only one at first, which the vet said it was because he was eating so much that he had an abnormal amt of bacteria, causing the runny stools. (started this pup on albun (sp))

Then this am I noticed that they all had runny stools, so another call to the vet... I brought in stool samples of my mom and one baby... no parasites were found... but they gave me a prescription called... metronidazole. dc the albon for the one pup who was on it.

They said the weight gain of the babies says that mom is feeding them very well, and not to stop them from eating (I asked because one has gained a huge amt)

If they are gaining so much weight, does this mean they will be 20lb yorkies?

here are the weights...

birth, now
5 5/8, 15 1/8
6 3/8, 15 1/8
6, 17 1/2 (this is the one that had the runny stools first)

Is this too much weight gain?

**edited to add they are 11 days old now... this was the am weight today. (they are weighted each am and pm)

They still have a slightly runny nose, clear... the vet said that this is ok, because they have short snouts, and if it stays clear, and their lungs sound great (that was checked on sat) and they are gaining weight, the runny nose is fine (it isn't running huge, just a little extra moist- if that makes sense... it doesn't run down their face ect)

I have done everything as close to perfect that I can... and I can't figure out why they have the runny stools.

I am waiting for the vet to let me know, he wasn't available when I picked up the meds, and when he called about the meds, I didn't hear the phone ring (I have it turned down so it doesn't wake up mom if she is resting)

Anyways, any info will be helpful and much appreciated... I just don't know what else to do to insure that these puppies do well.

thanks so much
brenda
ps- I change their towel when I see that it has a mess on it (from the runny stools, or when mom gets it wet from licking their bottoms to clean them)
the temp in their area is 77.5 to 78.5, with no drafts, no direct sunlight. I still don't have ac, but we got a window ac, so it doesn't get so hot, but the ac isn't even close to the pups, nor the fans ect.

Last edited by minniemn; 06-21-2005 at 12:58 PM.
minniemn is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!