View Single Post
Old 04-26-2007, 04:55 PM   #1
Jenn218
Mojo, LilyGrace & Me
Donating Member

Exclamation Lyme Disease & Tick Info.

Tick season is here (did it ever go away)?
Here is some helpful information regarding Lyme Disease and a few good tips for our pets.

Does anyone have any good remedies for keeping ticks away? Natural remedies, home-made deterents, etc?? If so, Please Share!!!

The classic sign of a Lyme infection is a bull's-eye rash, but this appears in less than 50% of patients. So if you experience two or more of the symptoms, consider askign your doctor about both the ELISA and western blot tests for Lyme disease.

Extreme tiredness
Flulike symptoms (fever, aches, sore throat, swollen glands)
Migratory joint pain, expecially in knees
Temporary paralysis of one side of face (Bell's palsy)
Numbness or weakness in the limbs
Depression

Lyme disease is misdiagnosed so often, its frequency is perhaps 10 times greater than the official numbers.

In rare cases, untreated Lyme disease can lead to permanent nerve, joint or heart damage.

Anitbiotics are highly effective in treating Lyme disease in its earliest stages -with a cure rate of up to 95%

Even in long-term cases, debilitating symptoms can be resolved completely.

To find out more on Lyme disease, visit www.Lymehelp.org

Eat garlic! People who took 1,200 mg garlic capsules daily for eight weeks were less likely to be biten by ticks than those who didn't. Garlic's natural sulfur is secreted in the body sweat after it's digested and researchers believe this odor is repulsive to bugs (and, er, problem everyone/thing else)

Wear a natural repellent. The Centers for Disease Control now recommends picaridin (Bayrepel) as an alternative to harsh chemicals, as this has no side effects. One to try: Cutter Advanced Sport Insect Repellent With Picaridin.

Give your DOG a tick-proofing bath! Protect your pet from exposure by steeping 1 tsp. dried rosemary in a pint of boiling water. Strain, cool and pour over fur to provide a tick deterrent that also provides a glossy coat!
Jenn218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!