View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 03:45 AM   #19
Gayle_T
Senior Yorkie Talker

I got this recipe from the person who heads up the Yorkie Club in Sarasota...

With more information about dog food recalls I'm receiving more and more requests for homemade dog food recipes. Let me share my favorite with you:

My favorite grain is Millet (available at the health food store). More information about this oldest and highly nutritious grain copied from the Internet below. Millet has not as much starch as rice, therefore does not dry out the skin and no Gluten. (Gluten is used as filler in dog food, in bread it's used to raise the dough.)

In a large pan I very briefly saut? in 1 tablespoon of Extra Virgin Olive Oil 1 pound of ground chicken and 1 pound of beef, add a total of 9 cups of half water/ half unsalted chicken broth, stir in 3 cups of millet and let simmer.
After 10 Minutes, I add 2 cups of a combination of grated Carrots, Zucchini, Celery, Fennel, Parsley, (no beans or cabbage...!!) and very little garlic powder plus sometimes fruit like bananas, very little Mango, Apple or Berries, sometimes a little Peanutbutter or Parmesan. (Just to change the flavor.) You can divide the cooked mixture and add different final flavors to it.
Let cool, fill in ice cube trays, (or other small containers) freeze and fill in Ziploc bags to avoid freezer burn.
I take two of the cubes out every evening to let thaw in the fridge for the next day.
I serve it to Filou in the shape of a little mount and put his quarter of Vitamin pill (description on bottom of page) on the very top so he gulps it down with his first eager bite.
Depending on the size of your dog, this portion will last between 2 and 4 weeks.
The only setback about this preparation is Filou barking during the entire 20 Minute cooking time!
Hope this helps,
Ruth

Millet is highly nutritious, non-glutinous and like buckwheat and quinoa, is not an acid forming food so is soothing and easy to digest.
Millet is tasty, with a mildly sweet, nut-like flavor and contains a myriad of beneficial nutrients. It is nearly 15% protein, contains high amounts of fiber, B-complex vitamins including niacin, thiamin, and riboflavin, the essential amino acid methionine, lecithin, and some vitamin E. It is particularly high in the minerals iron, magnesium, phosphorous, and potassium.

The seeds are also rich in phytochemicals, including Phytic acid, which is believed to lower cholesterol, and Phytate, which is associated with reduced cancer risk.

Millet is delicious as a cooked cereal and in casseroles, breads, soups, stews, souffl?s, pilaf, and stuffing. It can be used as a side dish or served under saut?ed vegetables or with beans and can be popped like corn for use as a snack or breakfast cereal. The grain mixes well with any seasoning or herbs that are commonly used in rice dishes and for interesting taste and texture variations it may be combined with quinoa and brown or basmati rice.

Millet flour produces light, dry, delicate baked goods and a crust that is thin and buttery smooth. For yeast breads up to 30% millet flour may utilized, but it must be combined with glutinous flours to enable the bread to rise. For a delightful "crunch" in baked goods, the millet seeds may be added whole and raw before baking.

Properly stored, whole millet can be kept safely for up to two years. The grain should be stored in tightly closed containers, preferably glass, in a cool dry place with a temperature of less than 70? or in the refrigerator. The flour deteriorates and becomes rancid very rapidly after it is ground, so it is best to grind the flour right before it is to be used.

As we have seen, millet is a highly nutritious, healthful and versatile grain that would be a worthy addition to anyone?s diet.

1-800-PetMeds Super VitaChews For Dogs 60ct #10897
Your dog will love beef-flavored Super VitaChews, the most complete and healthy multi-vitamin on the market today. Super VitaChews is ideal for all dogs, but is especially beneficial for mature and aging dogs because it is loaded with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. It is one of the few multi-vitamins with no sugar and no preservatives. Super VitaChews has a great anti-aging formula benefiting your dog's brain, heart, kidneys, eyes, liver, immune system and coat.
Gayle_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!