View Single Post
Old 06-20-2005, 06:05 PM   #9
SoCalyorkiLvr
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carters Mom
I couldn't imagine ever inventing a disability just to be able to take them as a service animal. I have to meet my maker one day and if St. Francis is standing on the side of him, I can enter the pearly gates with a clean slate having not lied. I'd never wish a disability on anyone.
No one here "invented a disability" to make their dog a service animal. A "disablity" as defined by the law is any current or previous condition which impedes the completion of daily tasks. Therefore, migraine headache sufferers, people with depression, people with mild mental disorders like those who suffer from occasional anxiety attackes, those with a slight hearing impairment, those with high blood pressure, those with arthritis, diabetes, overweight people, etc, etc.

There are very few people with "perfect health" and the healing powers of animals, and dogs in particular, are well documented. The story I just posted about the girl who has a papillon is a perfect example of the need for more small dog service animals in order to make them more of an accepted part of our society so that people with disabilities ( almost all of us) can live a better life and be able to have their dog help with small tasks. There is abaolutely no down side to making your dog a service animal and any dog qualifies if they can be trained to provide a service of any kind.

If you have a disability of any kind, teach your dog to bring you your purse or your cell phone and you have a service animal and it is perfectly legal and encouraged by the disabled advocates.
SoCalyorkiLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!