View Single Post
Old 01-16-2005, 07:08 AM   #6
yorkipower
BANNED!

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgin's Mom
Hate to see Yorkies rise in popularity.....the puppy mills will breed to a growing market and often the breed will suffer. Selfish of me, I know.

It is sorta nice to know that others realize what wonderful dogs we have, though......
Completely agree. Sadly, even worse, I think what is driving it is this recent interest by celebrities in small dogs that fit nicely into designer purses! I never had any interest in the going-ons of the likes of Britney Spears and Hillary Duff (not my generation!) until recently when reports came out on their respective new canine fashion accessories in magazines teenage girls are sure to read (Cosmo and People for example). I frequently go to message boards during lunchtime and scan for messages for "teacups," sending these posters to a link on my website explaning the fallacy and trying to warn them against buying a dog from a breeder who is advertisnig her puppies as "teacups." A lot of the time, instead of being thanked, I get a lot of profanity with a "who the blank cares? Mind your own blanking business!" Working with my mother and godmother in rescue for many years, it makes me want to scream or cry. I worry about those dogs who are going to start to be dumped into shelters and rescue (if they are lucky) in a year or so when this fad dies out and these impulse buying kids suddenly realize what a pain it is to care for a tiny, sickly dog prone to hypoglycemia and other medical conditions!

Last edited by yorkipower; 01-16-2005 at 08:05 AM.
yorkipower is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!