View Single Post
Old 06-20-2005, 12:57 PM   #4
Midge5353
BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIM
My sister was pet-sitting while I was on vacation. She was standing next to the bed where her boyfriend was sleeping and, as she bent over to kiss him, Lucky jumped up and bit him on the nose, hard! He thought he was bleeding, but he wasn't. I was devastated to hear this because my childhood lhasa apso had to be put to sleep because of two serious biting incidents which required doctor visits. I do not want the same thing to happend to Lucky! Plus, my husband and I are thinking about starting a family and I do not want her to hurt our future children. Don't get me wrong, we have loved Lucky like a child since we brought her home from the shelter in February and we do not want to abandon her like her previous owners did.

Lucky has come along way. She is starting to listen better and bite less, but she still gets extremely excited and anxious whenever any people have physical contact, even when it is just one person patting another on the back or giving a hug. She growls, bites, and sometimes barks. Is it possible to train her somehow to not get so excited in these situations? I can't prevent people from having physical contact when she is around, nor can I always predict it. I am especially concerned about what she will do when our future children are playing with their friends. Will she always have to be kept away from them?
I am sorry but I do not have any advice for you except to figure out a way to handle this situation immediately! I don't want to upset you or anything, but I used to have a dog who did the same thing. We got him from a rescue as a puppy of 6 weeks. His anme was Max. Our vet thought he was a Welsh Corgi mix. Anyways, Max hated when anybody has physical contact with eachother, especially me, his mom. He also hated if anyone sat on his (my) bed. He was very possessive and protective of me and my bed. One day, Max was sleeping next to my little stepbrother who was rocking in a recliner that we have. My stepbrother, Kyle, was leaning over the side of the chair and petting Max as he was sleeping. The chair must have rocked on a part of Max or something because he woke up, jumped up, and bit Kyle in the face. Kyle had to get stitches and still has two scars. Obviously a Yorkie couldn't do this much damage, but it is still a danger. Max ended up biting many members of our family, including me (who he usually protected) because I tried to get him off of my bed. We had to get rid of him. We sent him to a shelter who was wary about taking him when we told them he had an aggression problem. But once they saw him, they decided to take him and find him a good home because he was a smaller dog. When we told them about his aggression on the phone, they were expecting a Rottweiler or Pitt Bull!

I hope I didn't upset you with this story of mine. It was a bad experience for me. A Yorkie could not do that much damage except maybe to a very small child. Maybe you could take Lucky to obedience class. We took Max there. It might not remove Lucky's possessivness and aggression, but it will teach her to obey you, which is very important with a possessive dog. I hope you find a way to solve your problem. And once again, sorry about the upsetting story! SORRY! Good luck!
Midge5353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!