View Single Post
Old 04-16-2007, 02:11 PM   #2
jwash
YT 500 Club Member

I have two and honestly do not remember when I first took them for grooming. However, before I got mine I bought a book about yorkies and there are a few things I remember. One, do not take your puppy for professional grooming until fully vacinated.It is very important to spend quality time handling a puppy, especially around the face and the paws, they will grow up being used to it and will not "fight" you. Constantly talk to him/her, telling how good they are/look/how proud you are of them, in a soothing voice. This is true, too, for teeth brushing. Use exellent brush products. Work against the fur. They should be brushed daily to get the tangles out; otherwise when you do groom, they might have to cut your furbaby too short. Teeth care is very important as well because yorkies and other toy breeds have problems with early dental issues if not cared for properly. Mine are adults now, I bathe them about every 10 days and found a groomer I like, after several horrible experiences. There is a website for products I like a lot, Chris Christensen, which includes a great shampoo, a "perk up" spray and other things, that do not dry out their coat. I cannot stress enough the bonding of handling your puppy, bathing and brushing can be a really special time, so don't rush to the groomer. When you do get a groomer, talk directly with the groomer, make sure the place is sterile and clean. Find someone who actually knows what a Yorkie should look like,I finally took a picture in after trying 4 different groomers. You can also find groomers who will come to your home, ask your vet and your pet supply company. Sorry this is so long but it is such an important subject. People tell me all the time they do not understand how I can handle my two so easily and I owe it to a yorkie book.
jwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!