View Single Post
Old 04-15-2007, 04:35 PM   #21
my2boyz
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnot View Post
I don't have one on my home, cause it was too expensive. But when I built the 12x26 patio, I covered it with a metal roof. I also put a metal roof on my carport when I built it. I did both myslef, and used the screws to put it on, not nails like they used to use years ago.

Im in Mobile AL, and both withstood hurricane Ivan, and Katrina.

I had to have the house re-roofed after Ivan, as winds blew a lot of shingles off. Had I been given a good price, would have certainly had my house done with the metal. But the 3 estimastes I got for metal, was about 1/3 more than shingles.

Only hurricane damage I saw with the metal roofs here, where if a tree landed on them! And Ivan hit 2004, and Katrina the following year. But with Katrina we got more water damage than wind.

Yea many down on the Gulf Coast love the metal roofs, they seem to be much stronger during hurricane seasons than shingles.

Have to be really careful who you get to do it though, seen many after the storms slap metal right over the old roof. the old roof needs to be removed first, because when it sweats inbetween, it can make the old roof rot, which will later rot your structure. There needs to be a few inches inbetween the metal and old roof. Thats what I was told by all 3 "local roofers" I got for estimates.
Wow...that's a pretty good testimonial! We've decided to go with the metal roof once we get the room addition done, that way they can do the whole thing at one time. We've been getting estimates from a few different contractors. We were told they would take off all of the old shingles and put an insulation board down over the sheeting called fan-fold and the metal goes over that. We'll have them do the new soffit and facia at the same time too...might as well have it all done at once. We'll get the same metal to cover the boat dock and the summer kitchen so it should look nice when it's all done. The summer kitchen and stone on the foundation will be next year though but I don't think the metal roof will fade enough to notice a difference if we wait to do the summer kitchen.
my2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!