View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 09:31 AM   #6
TLC
Slave to My Rug-Rats
Donating Member

The whole reason why I stumbbled upon Yoekietalk was b/c TJ was have those horrible episodes.

He would wake up in the morning and I just knew he wasn't feel right, then those LOUD girguling noises. TJ wouldn't eat (that's ok, I never forced him when he felt sick). Sometimes the noises would last ALL day, and other times it was shorter. It was the same routine though...

Noises - No Food - A tiny little 'log' of regular poop - Then a BIG glob of orange/yellow mucus - The TJ all better and starving hahaaha

This went on for a long time. We were at the Vet at least every 3 days. I kept a journal of what he ate and how he acted, etc...

The Vet suggested a strict diet to see if it was a food alleregy. At first I bought the Vet Food - IVD Duck & Potatoe flavor, but IMO that food is pure crap! So after one bag, I switched to Natural Balance Duck and Potato, and they also have a Duck and Potato Treat (cookie like treat). TJ was also give Metrodone also know as Flagy (I don't know the exact sp). This did not help at all. The food sorta helped. But then TJ started to also vomit and have all the other symtoms I mentioned above. We finally did blood work and everything was normal, except his Folate levels, they were extremely high. The Vet said, that they can't be exactly sure (they'd have to do a biopsy - no way!) - But they could venture to say he has some form of IBD and that the levels being so high they could venture to guess that TJ has an overgrowth of bacteria somewhere in his intestines.

We kept on the strict diet, but my Vet also suggested we try Tylan Powder. Just a 'tiny pinch' everyday in his food (I had to buy a can of Duck/Potato Wet) to be able to disguse the Tylan. Tylan you can get from your Vet and it is VERY safe, no long term side effects. My Vet had his own dog on Tylan Powder for her entire life!

Anyway, he got better! No more episodes and he can eat anything he wants! Which is Nature's Variety Raw Frozen medalions, steamed green beans, 1/4 of a sardine a day, a few liver treats, and about 10 pieces of Canidae Dry food (the weight management option).

Anyway, this was all about 1.5 years ago, I am sure I had so much more details about stuff in 'older posts'

Try doing a search here on YT for things like:
IBD
Tylan
Girguling

There are tons of threads
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!