View Single Post
Old 06-18-2005, 08:22 PM   #15
Mya's_Mom
YT 500 Club Member

Icon2 Smokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by whispersmom2
Good advice from you, breeders...et al. I meet every member of the household and that includes any animals that I am not allergic to. I want to meet the other dogs . I have no problem telling someone they and my puppy are not a match..I have concerns about smokers-so, if you smoke, I WILL smell it, believe me. I want to see how family relates to each other. Family dynamics say a lot. After at least 1 phone interview, one visit to my home which may or may not include the animals, which will require another interview..I have found that few people are dishonest, but there are some who are. I don't take deposits. I send the perspective buyer away for a cooling off period before they leave with a puppy..I mean, what's not to like about a Yorkie puppy?
rnnw, absolutely, start building a relationship in your area. Go to shows or go to interview breeders who have ads somewhere. Learn how to be a good breeder interviewer and what the breeder should ask YOU...we can write and post but in the long run, you have to do your homework. This is a great place to start since there are some breeders on here..JMHO
I am glad you mentioned smokers because I have wanted to mention this myself.
Yes I am an ex-smoker who survived a lung disease that almost took my life.
Even when I smoked (4 cigarettes a day) I smoked outside to protect my children from second hand smoke. I worry about pets with the effects from second hand smoke. It bothers me when a smoker will pet Mya and she then smells like an ashtray. Ewwwwwwww. I saw woman in a car, windows rolled up smoking away with a chihuahua in the car with her. At a red light I saw her put out the cigarette and light another one. That poor dog !!!
If I were ever to breed Mya I would not give up a puppy to a smoker. I used to hear people say that "you have to die sometime" when it comes to smoking, my response after my experience is .....yah but you don't count on the long suffering part. *grin*
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!