Thread: Rescue Yorkies
View Single Post
Old 04-12-2007, 04:46 AM   #4
Dione1684
Yorkie Yakker

I think adopting from a rescue group or a shelter is a wonderful idea. Of course, I'm biased because I work for a humane society and see all the animals that need homes. I think if you take your time and ask a lot of questions, getting a rescue dog is a really good option.

I got my Talia from my work. She is 4 years old and turned out to be the best dog. She was already housetrained and only had a couple of accidents when I brought her home (which is to be expected of course) and she's been integrated into our houseful of animals very nicely.

The biggest thing you want to make sure of is that the place you adopt from will continue to help keep your dog in your home if a behavior problem arises. You want to ask all rescue groups for as much info about the dog's past as possible. You want to get copies of any/all behavior and medical information on the dog. Ask them if they do canine temperament tests on their dogs.

I think if you are wanting to adopt an adult dog from a rescue all you have to do is be patient and start looking! Call your local shelters or rescue groups and see if they have a list they can put you on so when a yorkie comes in, they can call you. Good luck and congrats on deciding to go with an adult. So many are in need of loving homes.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!