View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 05:42 PM   #1
yesenia83
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Cry whats the right thing to do?

i dont know where i should post but because of the nature of the situation i figured here would be appropiate. its a rather involved story and i apologize if it upsets anyone.. I needed a place where someone would understand the way i feel.

a close friend of mine called me sometime in december to explain that her fiances family pet Sandy (chihuaua, 10 years old) was taken to the vet because of a lump in her tummy. It turned out to be a tumor and the vet told them she was too old and it wasnt worth operating. . She went to an animal hospital that has a bad rap. so when she told me this i told her to get a second opinion and she stood firm that her vet said this and that. so i didnt hear about it again till 2 1/2 weeks ago when she calls me to tell me that they have to put the dog down and if i could take her. . So i get really pissed because no body made an effort to try to save the dog. So after giving her fiances family a piece of my mind i said i would take her but that she and her fiance have to come as well ,her for getting me involved and him cuz thats the least his family could do. I called the Humane society of New york where we take our babies for check ups and they were very kind about explaining everything to me. I was histerically crying because ive never put a dog down and me and my husband would do anything to keep our babies safe, we even used our rent money for vet bills when one of our babies got sick. So the day we were supposed to go she said she couldnt go cuz she would just die seeing it. And i was pissed , her fiance didnt want her to go b/c she was stressed out about there up coming wedding and was too emotional to go. . So when i see the dog she was to energetic and happy to see me( they say she attacks strangers) but i guess she knew an animal lover when she saw one. I argued my way into having them at least try my vet to see if they could do something for her . Her tumor was so big 1/3 her size and she was only a lil 8 lbs. they sad when they took her to the vet it was the size of a dime and ins 2 months it grew. when we finally get there his father who at the last minute decided to come was complaining why there taking so long to see us. and i wanted to slapp him across the room. after maybe the longest 20 minutes of my life they call us in( during this time her fiance was out doing some errand while I waited with their pet)The vet look horrified to see the size of the tumor and asked why did they wait so long. so i blew up and told him everything how they didt want to pay for the surgery, even though they have the money and how they didnt want to go for a second opinion. He then explained that if they would have came before they could have operated and that there is always a chance of the pet dying in surgery just like humans. so he said there was no other alternative but to put her down. You know what his father does starts crying and tell me to do it cuz he cant. i was so hurt because of the look on sandys face like was did she do wrong face. so they let me stay with her before they did the procedure. I was calling her fiance and he finally showed up and was upset to hear that they couldnt do anything. so we went in. i was shaking so hard because before i left in the morning my babies started to cry ( a normal thing when i leave) but this time it was so different . they acted like i wasnt coming back and when they where preping sandy i kept thinking about my babies. She had a calm overcome her right befor they did it. and it happend so fast . i wanted to stop them but i couldnt even move. I had to sign everything and the guilt i feel is horrible. I also think at least shes in a better place and shes rid of stupid parents.( i almost forgot , they had her for 10 years and never took her to the vet not even spayed, that why she got the tumor). so after it all i petted her and that when your mind plays tricks i thought i saw her move and breath. after tha, guess who had to call the cremetory, yes me. Here i am crying so hard i got a nose bleed and i was the one who had to call. I dont understand people. my friends fiance was the one who paid for the eveything because his parents didnt want to. they even chose to have the urn UPS to them because they couldnt drive to far to pick it up at the cremetory. which is in brooklyn, very close. . Now here is the issue his mother wanst the urn because she says it was hers but my friends fiance says he is gonna keep it because they didnt want to take care of her when she was alive that they dont deserve the urn. and because he and i went thru the ordeal of seeing her put to sleep. i want to know what is the right thing to do. i feel he should keep it because he was the only one who paid for everything or should his mom keep it because the dog lived in her house? its a very touchy subject and i have no say so even though i was put thru the worst part. At least even though there now is all this drama ,sandy is in a better place. id appreciate any thoughts and advice.
yesenia83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!