Thread: Bedtime Blues
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 05:02 PM   #7
Sherryabear
Donating Yorkie Yakker

I bought a crate just large enough for Gordon to lie down, turn around in, and stand without hitting his head.
I started the first day by placing a favorite toy in the crate , when Gordon would go in to get the toy, I rewarded him. Each time he did it, I got him to stay a little longer. Then I started closing the door, he barked at first. I used tuff love and let him bark......when he stopped barking I let him out. (if you let them out while barking , they will think you are rewarding them for barking)

The first night, I put the crate on the floor by my bed, where Gordon could see me. I put a few treats in the crate and his favorite toy. When he started to whimper , I said a firm NO. He would quiet , if he barked I would say a firmer NO. ......I NEVER let him out while barking.

I also during the day if I am working in the kitchen, I put his crate in there and throw a few cherrios in his crate and he will go in it. I let him see me while he is in his crate.

I also NEVER use the crate for punishment.

My son and his wife had problems crate training Gordon's sister.......I babysat for them and had to retrain her. It took three days and nights to retrain her....but she now loves her crate.

During the day if i have to leave him home, I crate him....but I make sure he can see a TV and leave it on for him.

I hope it helps.....I know having one crate trained is so much easier for you and your puppy.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!