View Single Post
Old 04-07-2007, 07:42 PM   #7
simplyyorkies
Gabor Galore
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieRose View Post
I would assume you are not keeping him crated during the day? Keeping a pup contained ie kitchen or bathroom with a gate and piddle pad is necessary until they figure out the entire routine. Once they mark on the carpet or floor, they will return to the same spot.

It takes time and patience before they are trusted to have free run. Honestly, I believe your pup is much too young to be considered house broken.

There are excellent messages if you search on house breaking and wish you good luck. It will happen, so don't give up hope.

I agree - your pup is just too young to have full run of the house. Remember that once they get the idea of piddle pad training you can't just assume that they will run back to that area every time. Think about how small your pup is - literally get down on the floor at his level and view the space. It is HUGE by his view. Then when you give him even more space it is stressful to him. The way to reduce the stress is to keep him in a small, safe area until he is completely trained to that pad, then open another small area to him and keep taking him back to the pad. Then open up more space. Eventually he will be able to have full run of the house but it will take months - not weeks. The other issue is why would you allow a pup free run when he could chew on electrical cords, chew on furniture or baseboards. For his protection limit his area until he is mature enough to handle situations.

Good luck!!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!