Thread: Going into heat
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 11:08 PM   #9
crazyforyorkies
Yorkie Talker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze View Post
If you do not want a pregnancy, you need to keep them separated with a solid door at all times. A diaper, cage or x-pen will not stop them from tying and pregnancies have been known to happen through all of these barriers.

You need to keep them separated for several weeks as females are in heat for about 21 days. I am no expert but am sure the more experienced breeders and members will post to tell you for sure.

How old are your dogs and how much do they weigh....?

I couldnt agree more with you. Our female had her first litter back in June 2006 and when she went into heat again we were going to let her rest and not breed her until the heat after. We thought keeping the diaper on her at all times would help, but 2 months and 5 puppies later here we are. I love all the puppies and wouldnt have changed a thing, I was just more worried about my female becoming pregnant so soon after her first litter.

If you do not have a male around there shouldnt be too much of a problem. I just keep a diaper with a pantyliner on the girls so I dont get little red spots everywhere.
crazyforyorkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!