View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 03:21 AM   #8
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
So basically, the 1 year guarantee is for life threatening, not something like luxating patella?
I am just starting out with my first breeding coming up and I wonder how I do the 1 yr guar? If it is for life threatening, I dont see that being an issue. I was just thinking who knows, what if I do it once, decide its not for me and dont breed again? couldnt offer replacement pup.
I was wondering if I could just get some ideas how everyone else did this when they were just starting out??

LP is not just cut & dry, if a pup has anything above a grade level 1 LP....most likely it's genetic. Now a pup may have loose knees that tighten up as they grow their muscles develope.

Breeding with sound dogs, will give you the peace of mind that you can stand behind your breeding with confidence. However, there are certain tests such as Bile acids that will reveal a particular dog may not have Liver Shunt, but it doesn't tell you that it isn't a carrier. Progressive Retinal Atrophy, may appear later than 1 year of age, hence the genetic defect guarantee....

The key here is if you are not familiar with your line, have your foundation dogs tested for everything prior to breeding them. Very expensive, but in the long run very, very cheap, not only in the pocket book, but in the heartache it will save.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!