View Single Post
Old 04-05-2007, 03:14 PM   #11
Suzy
2 Pups=Double Trouble!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmasParents View Post
Well, last night Emma cried the "entire" night! We got not an ounce of sleep ... BUT we did not budge and she stayed in her crate. Hopefully she will get this eventually ...

Thanks again for the great tips ... they are all so helpful!! Keep them coming if you have more

Snickers Mommy, thanks for the blanket idea ... I am going to try that tonight!!
Strange, my Emma was up all night too-I think I woke up every hour, not exaggerating. For some reason she just wouldn't sleep. Bad night for Emmas I guess!

Did you get her into the vet yet?

I'm proud of you for being strong and not letting her out last night. Maybe tonight she'll only cry for 2 hours I've been thinking about you and what you're going through, and I have a few more ideas for you.

Here's a couple more ideas that you might try-it worked for us with Milli, and I think it sent Emma the message at the time, though I felt like such a bad Mommy doing it :

If they're really crying hard and you've just GOT to get some sleep, try banging something metal on the metal front of the cage. That used to quiet our Emma down at least for a LITTLE while. I used to sleep with my grandmother's old aluminum measuring spoon set (on a ring) next to the bed. When Emma would cry loud, I'd bang it on the front of her crate. It got to the point where all I had to do was to shake the spoons and she'd quiet down. For some reason they HATE that noise. I got that tip on here!

Also, one night it got REALLY bad, both with Emma and Milli when we first brought each of them home. I think everyone has a "bad" night in the first few months. Anyway, we had to completely isolate them in another room in their crates. YES, your neighbors might not appreciate this, so turn on a TV or a radio to at least muffle the noise. (at least maybe YOU can get some sleep!) The dogs hate to be separated from the pack, and one night of crying and carrying on AWAY from you might help them to learn that they need to be quiet when WITH you.

Finally, make sure you have a routine that you follow, and something "fun" that signals bedtime. With Emma, we got one of those little puppy toys that has buckwheat inside, and you microwave it so it stays warm for awhile. We'd give that to Emma ONLY at bedtime, and we'd put it in her crate/pen with her. That was her special toy, and after a few weeks, we'd say, "bedtime" and she'd go get the toy. We called it her snuggle puppy, and she loves him to this day.

Best of luck! Keep us updated.
Suzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!